Sunday, May 18, 2008

Blog # 13: Bob Marley: Legend

To me, Bob Marley is an icon, a representation of a style of music and a generation of drug users. Before we began discussing him in class, all I knew about him was from seeing his image on everything from t-shirts to keychains in stores, and listening (casually) to his music. I knew little about his beliefs and the things he supported.

I knew that he believed in harmony, peace, and marijuana. I find that most people only like him because they identify with the latter. Most of the merchandise featuring his face is related to that. When I listen to his music, I mostly identify with his messages of peace and harmony, and I also like it because its relaxing, and easily enjoyable.

Now that I know exactly how deeply his religious beliefs run in his music, I realize just how little I actually know about him. I really enjoy learning just how much depth there is to his art, music and otherwise. He obviously felt very strongly about it, but it seems that he preached his method without being obnoxious or preachy, based on how popular his music is. Unfortunately, his message is possibly a little to understated, because it seems that his main intent has been lost.

Granted, most of the suburban teenagers that pick up his CD because they think his dreads are cool can't really relate to the oppresion of blacks in Jamaica, but so many people listen to his music, and idolize him, and they barely know anything about him. However, I think that if they learned even just a little bit more about him, they would find his music that much more interesting, and they might understand it a little better. I know I do.

No comments: